We like our lasagna. With a name like Fiala, how could we not? But, as we’ve gotten older, our waists and our butts tell us to back off the lasagna and basically, most of the good stuff. But, then I saw an opportunity to find another way to eat the foods we love and still not expand our bodies. (Of course this only works if you eat in moderation and all that…)
So, that being said, I’ve substituted the pasta (sorry pasta lovers) with thinly sliced zucchini, and its FABULOUS. The zucchini adds a flavor to the sauce that I’ve embraced as a “must have”. Let me know if you try this and what you think of it.
- 1 jar of Prego sauce (any flavor you prefer - I like the mushroom)
- 3 small zucchini squash (thinly sliced length-wise)
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 1 lb. mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Brown ground beef. Add sauce and stir together. In an oblong pan add a thin layer of sauce, top with a layer of zucchini noodles, 1/3 lb. of ricotta cheese, 1/3 lb. mozzarella cheese. Repeat these layers two more times.
- Bake in 350 degree oven uncovered for 45 mins. (bake uncovered because zucchini will cook down and the juices from it will evaporate)
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- We serve our lasagna with garlic bread and a great spinach salad. Enjoy.