Gluten Free Over-night Holiday Breakfast Casserole
I’d like to introduce myself; My name is Mrs. James and I’m the cook at the GHOST compound. I’d tell you more, but I’m under strict orders not to say more than is needed. BUT, I can share some of my recipes, which PJ said I could do.
It doesn’t have to be a holiday to make this recipe, and as the cook for a group of Special Operatives, I make this one a lot. (One of our guys needs gluten free foods). I can have it ready to go in the morning, (sometimes these folks start early), and all I need to do is pop it in the oven while they have their round table meeting to discuss the job at hand. It’s simple, tasty and I get plenty of thank you’s and kudos for making this breakfast casserole a winner all around.
- 6 cups cubed gluten-free white bread* (1" cubes)
- 2 cups cubed pre-cooked ham (1/2" cubes), bacon or breakfast sausage
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- Lightly grease a 9x13 glass Pyrex baking dish.
- Mix cubed white bread and cubed ham in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, then mix in the milk, dry mustard, salt, and garlic powder.
- Pour over ham and bread mixture.
- Pour melted butter over all.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- IN THE MORNING:
- Remove casserole from refrigerator and uncover. Let sit at room temperature while oven preheats to 325°. Once oven is preheated, place uncovered casserole in oven and bake at 325° for an hour. Remove from oven. Let cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
- By way of full disclosure, I found this recipe from Michelle Palin in My Gluten-free Kitchen (Link on the blog post.)
- RECIPE NOTES
- *I like using King Arthur's gluten-free bread mix to make a loaf a day or two before I make the casserole. It slices and cubes very nicely.
- Update 12/2014: I used gf Jules bread mix in my bread machine to make a loaf of bread for this. Turned out perfect and so easy!