Split Pea and Ham Soup
For Thanksgiving with our kids, we had ham. That means ham left overs and we knew what we wanted to do with the bone – split pea and ham soup. So, I’ve used this Betty Crocker recipe for years and years, and it super tasty, hope you think so too.
- 2 1/4 cups dried split peas, (1 pound), sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ham bone or 2 pounds shanks SAVE $
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 1/2 cups
- 1. Heat peas and water to boiling in 4-quart Dutch oven. Boil uncovered 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- 2. Stir in onion, celery and pepper. Add ham bone. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
- 3. Remove ham bone; remove ham from bone. Trim excess fat from ham; cut ham into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 4. Stir ham and carrots into soup. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until carrots are tender and soup is desired consistency.