My husband, Gene, and I have been eating ketogenically for 5 weeks now. At first our worries were finding the time to make food differently. Eating bland food. And, honestly folks, Gene and I have two cookies and a couple cups of coffee every morning – we didn’t want to give that up.
So, I started searching for cookies that were keto friendly. Imagine my surprise when I found a great one. Surprise, surprise, they are sooo good. So, we still enjoy our coffee and cookies in the morning, we’re doing just fine eating ketogenically and I’m down 8 pounds!
I found this recipe on Paleo Running Momma.
Note: Gene and I don’t like the taste of coconut, so any keto recipe that calls for coconut oil or coconut flour, we substitute almond oil and almond flour.
Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
*Or preferred low-carb chocolate chips
**Or preferred brand of erythritol. I did not test these cookies with xylitol or any other low carb sweetener
- 1 egg room temp
- 1/2 cup Swerve granular sweetener **
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil refined, melted and cooled to almost room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup Lilly’s dark chocolate chips *
- 1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and Swerve until smooth, then whisk in the coconut oil and vanilla. Add in the almond flour, baking soda, and salt and mix with a spoon until a dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips to incorporate. (NOTE: Gene and I don’t like coconut, so we substituted almond oil for the coconut oil.)
- 3. Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough evenly onto prepared cookie sheet – I made 16 cookies. With the heel of your hand, press each one down to flatten a bit since they won’t spread much.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until set in the center and light brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for about 10 mins.
- 5. They will be VERY soft at this point so don’t touch! After 10 mins, transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Once cooled, the outside will be crisp and the inside softer. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature, enjoy!