I’m in a weekly blog hop with P.j. MacLayne. We recently blogged about a meal we could eat every week and P.j.’s is Hamburger Soup. It sounded so darn good I asked if I could share it. Enjoy this easy, delicious recipe.
Delicious Hamburger Soup
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 766
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 85g
Saturated Fat 32g
Trans Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 37g
Total Carbohydrates 65g
Dietary Fiber 17g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef (or substitute ½ lb hot Italian sausage for an extra kick)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (I buy the pre-shredded cabbage. It cuts down on the preparation time.)
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbls minced garlic
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef stock ( I usually use more)
- ½ tsp seasoning salt
- ½ tsb basil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown the beef, onions celery, garlic and pepper until the meat is no longer pink. Add the cabbage and cook together for a couple of minutes. Drain. (I find it easier to add most of the vegetables after draining the fully cooked meat.) Add the seasoning.
- Transfer the meat and vegetable mixture to a stock pot, add the beef stock and tomato sauce. Mix. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30-45 minutes and serve. (I like it with shredded cheese on top.)
- I've used both yellow and green peppers at the same time to give it some added color. I also like to add sliced carrots.
- Serve with some freshly baked bread and you have a real treat. (Don't make your own bread? Me either. I hit up my favorite grocery store bakery and warm up a loaf for a few minutes before serving.)
- This is just as good as leftovers as it is the day you make it, but you may need to add some additional beef stock.
Romance Author PJ Fiala https://www.pjfiala.com/